Thursday 1 June 2017

STE BOOSTER V1 PLUG IN PROTOTYPE






STE BOOSTER V1 PLUG IN PROTOTYPE

In light of, lets just say, basically everyone, not being able to solder well enough to fit the V1 STE BOOSTER ,I Designed this prototype which will plug into the CPU socket with a simple adapter I designed.

I myself hate plugin stuff as at some point, it will develop bad connections and it takes an age to work out whats gone wrong. Though in light of people not being able to fit this booster, then a plug-in option is the only way to go.

I do offer a fitting service of basically £45 to assemble and fit the DUAL TOS KIT and the V1 STE BOOSTER. Though as my time is limited there is normally a long wait for this service. Typically can be 2 weeks to 2 months or more.

It's also not viable to ship machines complete, and sending me just the motherboard is the best option. Though with postage prices being high, it can ramp up the overall cost a fair bit even if just sending the motherboard.

So the plugin kit was "born". This isn't a production board "yet" only a prototype. Though if it does go into production, then people stand a better chance of getting some extra MHz into their machines.  If they can't fit this one, then there is no hope for those people (sorry! :)  )

This prototype has a small area on the bottom left for an adjustable MHz generator. I managed to clock to about 38MHz before, but the speed gain wasn't worth it.  Really it needs to get to 40MHz before any speed jump is seen. Though I doubt the HC series of CPU can take this, but I am going to try again anyway :)

Due to lacking in time  (as always!) It will likely be some months before anymore news on this board.

Current STE Booster page.
 http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/V1STE/index.htm

STE BOOSTER Store page
 https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0059




6 comments:

  1. Is the STE cpu PLCC then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, will your next booster version already include the flash memory, or is it "only" the STE booster pluggable?

    IngoQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a planned post about "whats next" soon. This is just a prototype, I am currently adding in fast-ram, flash and RTC. Once designed proven on STE, it will also be used in the future STFM booster.

      Delete
  3. That's very cool... though I would have bought it anyways, since this solves my issue with my cpu not beeing socketed :) But there, you gave me three more reasons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe got wires crossed here. The PLCC is on the booster board. Its fits into the STE PLCC socket.

    Currently I don't have a solution for STE's without a CPU socket. Unfortunatly there can never be a "one size fits all" upgrade with these machines.

    The STFM series is the worst with like 20 motherboard layouts etc. I just don't have the time or the resources to do to upgrades to fit every machine :(

    ReplyDelete